List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] more on the cups/postscript thread
From:       John Andersen <jsa () pen ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2003-11-20 8:37:07

On Monday 10 November 2003 06:34, John Bleichert wrote:
> Has anybody on this list been able to print a postscript file to a
> postscript printer? Everything I do in CUPs wants a driver for a specific
> printer (eww the foetid reek of Windows...). However, with the simple LPR
> from the 2.2 days I was able to just send postscript to postscript
> printers without a problem. I've been trying without luck to get that to
> work in CUPS, but with no luck. We have a UNIX printer server that does
> loadlevelling and sends work to the least busy printer attached to it, and
> they're all different, so a printer driver is an irrelevant encumbrance.

Set it up as a raw printer.  Since its postscript already you need
no further processing From cups.
This is the same thing you need to do for windows machines
printing to cups printers.  They have already put the output
into proper form.

Just set up a printer in cups of type RAW and raw queue.
I do this for all my windows clients.

Now cups doesn't really do raw unless you edit /etc/cups/mime.types
in the cups directory and uncomment the line at the bottom.
Read the comments in that file, and do the same change
in the other file mentioned in the first.