List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Choice of distro
From:       John Hunt <john.kde () yoredale ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2003-05-25 9:53:41

On Sunday 25 May 2003 08:20, Stelian Iancu wrote:

> Actually, there already is such a thing. Check out
> www.linuxfromscratch.org.

I have a practical difficulty in switching to another distro or
linuxfromscratch. I need this PC for real work, so I can't afford for it to
be 'down' while I learn how to install or manage a new distro.

I have several GB spare on the disk on this PC. With a little effort I could
make this into a separate, empty, partition. Is it possible to make the PC
dual boot with existing RH installation untouched and alternative of a new
Mandrake or linuxfromscratch installation, while I experiment with it?  (RH
uses grub boot manager.)  Or I could add a second disk for the new
installation. Would that make it easier, other than the obvious
simplification of not needing to shuffle partitions on the existing disk?

Regards
John

John Hunt
Stokesley, N Yorks, UK