List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.1 is out
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2003-01-29 21:29:39

On Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2003 21:08, David Legg wrote:

> able to more easily administrate them will be great. Not had the time
> to look at this in more detail but I do hope that KDE ends up providing
> a good, solid secure framework for remote administration of desktops.
> Might be interesting to see what is being thought of along these lines
> and what ideas other people have.

I think a solution well suited for KDE is a thin client setup.
This way you don't need remote desktop administation, as all desktops run
on the same server machine.

> As a user and a developer I have watched the debate on KBasic with
> interest and I don't understand the fear that some people have of the
> speed and efficiency issues, 'script kiddies' and accusations of being
> too Microsoft. Script kiddies have been able to exist because Microsoft

Will be interesting if the new maintainer can get it going again, afert
development hat stalled under the orginal maintainer.

> make another awful Access database available online...) then I think it
> will be great for Rapid Development and encourage it's use in call

Fortunately für Unix developers they are not limited to one scripting
language.
There are several other possibilites with good to excellent GUI bindings,
such as Perl, Python and Tcl.

Under Windows developers are more or less restricted to VB if they don't
want to use a compiled language fpr applicatio development.

> Longer term I hope that KBasic and KDevelop would merge and allow
> development in virtually any language (Basic, Python (a favourite of

The new KDevelop (Gideon) is largely based on plugins, making it usable
for almost any language as long as someone writes a proper plugin.
I think I read somewhere that it will have plugins for C, C++, Java and
Python out of the box.

Most of the behavioural parts are being worked on at www.freedesktop.org

> user and a developer I would love a Gnome/IceWM (*insert WM here*)
> program when run under KDE to take on the characteristics and
> look-and-feel of a KDE program and vice versa. However, we are a long

Are there any applications that are really developed for a particular
Window Manager?

> On another note - people love the dragon! Does he/she have a name? Do
> you sell merchandise?!

The one you usually see is Konq.
See an "interview" with him from the "poeple behind KDE" series
http://www.kde.org/people/konqi.html

There is also a female dragon, called Katie.
See http://women.kde.org/

Plush Konqys are often available on Linux shows.
See also http://www.kde.org/kde-stuff.html

Cheers,
Kevin

- --