List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Perfect KDE system
From:       Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard () jasongeo ! com>
Date:       2003-01-29 19:18:38

* Albert Wagner <alwagner@tcac.net> (Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:55:54AM +0000)
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 5:30 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Albert Wagner wrote:
> > > I love KDE.  I have run KDE since 0.9.  But I think 3.1 is finally
> > > over the top.  Too big. My perfect KDE system would be 1.2 ported
> > > from Qt to GTK+.
> >
> > Nobody stops you from doing this. Have fun!
> >
> That's true.  I was only trying to express my displeasure with the
> continuing bloat in KDE.

Maybe so, maybe not.

I've been running 3.0.X (upto 5 I think) on a PII/233 laptop w/ 32M memory.
Apart from the rather too long startup time, it worked fine and smooth.
Of course, I had to trim down some of the oprion (disable transparency, use
a normal windowdecoration (system++), no fancy effects, and not much stuff
in the taskbar (xmms-kde is a pretty bad resource hog ;) ) .

My primary box at home is a 256M celeron 600Mhz which is running 3.1beta
something or other with all the features enabled (8 desktops, several
konquerors always open, xmms playing &c &c and it pretty much works as
smooth there as I could wish.

Of course, on the other laptop (a P133 w/16M) I have to run WindowMaker.

Currently listening to: Rainbow - Still I'm sad

	Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O	If your watch is wound, wound to run, it will
 =`\<,	If your time is due, due to come, it will