List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] kde 3.10 rc5... small problems....
From:       Jerry McBride <mcbrides9 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-01-01 22:51:41

I've been toying with KDE 3.1 rc5 for about a week now and it's terrific. I ran
into ONLY two problems while compiling the source and both were already listed
on bugs.kde.org. The GA version is going to be beautiful.

The one thing I'm really impressed with is how fast, snappy the various
applications pop up after you click the associated icon. My hat is off the the
kde developers...

Now the problems... I've only got one serious problem in an area that's not real
critical to using rc5. It's the themes manager. No matter what I try, no matter
what  I do... it's broken. The default themes won't load (theme does
not contain a .themerc nor a .theme file). I can't alter the default theme nor
import a new one... Kthememgr is dead in the water. I've recompiled the relavent
code, etc but no answer seems in sight.

Anyone have a pointer on this?

The second one isn't a real issue either, but it really drags down the kde
experiences for me. :')  On the task bar, where the desktop buttons are
displayed (i run 8 desktops)... the buttons don't display the little outlines of
the apps running there. I can't just glance at the button and say, recognize the
outline of sylpheed on one button and gcombust on another...

Any fix for that one?

That said... I was once not a real supported of KDE. I used to use it because it
was the lesser of the two evils of the fat desktops (gnome vs. lde)... I used
it, but never really liked it. Now, with KDE 3.1... I love it. I can't wait to
see the general availability version, shortlyI hope.