List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kdesu causing probs with dcop and klauncher
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-24 6:19:16

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I sometimes use kdesu to start proggies as root, e.g. kdesu
> kedit /etc/fstab or starting konqueror with root-privileges.
>
> After this, I cannot use my KDE-Session anymore. As soon, I
> klick on any icon to start an app, I get 'no contact to
> klauncher' or something like this. When I start konqueror to
> browse files I get something like 'Cannot connect to
> dcopserver'.
>
> Any hints, what is the problem and how to solve this?

I suggest that you file a bug report for KDEsu.

The work-around is to open a Konsole and execute:

	kdeinit

NOTE: you should run this under the account that doesn't work.  When I have this problem, it is
root that can't get anything to work and I need to run: "kdeinit" as root (open a Konsole, "su
-", enter password and "kdeinit").

--
JRT