List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] xearth with markers ?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-10-31 1:17:16

Poetzsch, Jörg wrote:
> When  I start it in .xinitrc i just call 'xearth &', but this
> only works with other windowmanagers, since kde is overwriting
> the background with its own. In kde I use the controlmenu to
> configure the background settings to run a program.
> The config given by kde is 'xearth -size %x %y -ppm > %f '.
> Without the -ppm or -gif option it doesn't start.

Have you tried starting it with Autostart?

Note that I don't think that this will work, but according to the man
page, you won't get the markers with the: "-ppm" option.  That is
probably to be considered a bug, but it isn't anything that you are
doing wrong.

So, try placing an: "xearth.desktop" file in: "~/.kde/Autostart/".  You
can just drag and drop (Select Copy) from the menu.  If you need
different command options just edit it with the RC Preferences widget or
open the file in an editor.

I tried it from the command line in a Konsole and it runs fine except
that the KDE desktop is in front of it. :-(

I think that: "Xsnow" & "Xpenquins" were modified slightly to work with
KDE.  So, I can only suggest that you contact the maintainer.

--
JRT