List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: Re: Kdm Background
From:       Greg Walker <Greg.Walker () man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-29 10:01:43

From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org>
To: kde-linux@mail.kde.org
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] RE: Kdm Background

Greg Walker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have experienced the same problems getting the background to
> display. I am running Debian 3.0 woody and compiled kde 3.0.4 and also
> kde 3.1beta2 from source. Once I had removed all the kde 2.2 packages
> and compiled 3.0.4 I too noticed the kdm background had gone. Setting
> it as root, logging out, restarting X I still cant get the kdmdesktop
> jpg to display, setting the background as a colour with a gradient
> works fine but I just cannot get the wallpaper to display. Making
> manual changes to kdmrc has no effect. I have even set Xsetup to call
> kdmdesktop but the wallpaper still does not display.

The background settings for KDM appear to be under development.  I think
that it doesn't work in 3.0.4 and you can't set it in 3.0.8 except by
editing the (new) file: "backgroundrc" which should be in the same
directory as: "kdmrc".  This will vary with the exact build that you have.

If you have RedHat, you can put something like this in: "Xsetup" &/|
"startkde":

/usr/bin/xsri --emblem=/usr/kde3/share/wallpapers/tux.png
--color=#1E72A0 --color2=#C0C0C0

{all one line}

Other distros probably have a different command or perhaps: "xsetroot"
will work.  It doesn't work for me.

Thanks for this information. I have since dumped kdmdesktop and now have a
line in Xsetup
xsetbg -fullscreen /path/to/wallpapers/mywallpaper.jpg

And I have my background back.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if 3.1 when released, will
use the same configuration settings as 3.0.x? ie, the settings in .kde for
3.0.X are compatible with those in 3.1? I remember I had to create a new
.kde for version 3 when I upgraded from 2.2.2 which was a real
pain..........

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Walker
Network Operations & Development Manager
University of Manchester
School of Nursing, Midwifery, & Health Visiting
Room 213
Gateway House
Piccadilly South
Manchester