List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] XFree86 Control
From:       "CiAsA S'Nuey Boark" <ciasaboark () telocity ! com>
Date:       2002-04-13 4:38:46

On Saturday 13 April 2002 12:17 am, David Findlay wrote:
> I was just thinking that it would be so much cooler if the KDE Control
> Panel had a tab that allows you to configure X. You should be able to
> change resolution, refresh rate or colour depth without restarting KDE and
> X. How hard would this be to do? Thanks,

Really? How about if your not running linux on xfree? (There are other
xservers you know).  How would you suggest supporting them?

You see the problem here is that this should be a distrobution thing.  Only
they know exactly what xserver their user are gonna use after an install
(actually they might not even know that..., I think some of the RH releases
had X 3.x and X 4.x as different options).  Things like this get discussed a
good bit on these list, but as it stands, KDE does try to be as vendor
neutral as possible (not always to great effect, but they do try).

Now, supposing that someone _did_ write a plugin that did this you would have
to restart X for the settings to take place.  IIRC X is incapable of changing
display depths on the fly (someone please correct me if the newer x
extentions allow this).  It can change resolutions however, but not the way
you were probably thinking.
--
Go to a movie tonight.  Darkness becomes you.

Jonathan Nelson [icq=56665957] [aim=ciasaboark]