List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Could't  open /dev/sequencer
From:       Gregory D Hough <mr6re9 () execulink ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 6:53:46

On January 28, 2002 02:36 pm, CiAsA S'Nuey Boark wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 09:59 am, Gregory D Hough wrote:
> > Probably there is another program using it. This is the error I get in
> > Konqueror 2.2.2-2 when opening a page with some midi.
> >
> > Is there a way to fix this?
>
> Does your soundcard actually have midi support?  Does the cards driver have
> support for /dev/sequencer?  Are the permissions for /dev/sequencer set so
> you have access to it?

I guess the card support is fine, just not embedded in a web page using
Konqueror. SB Live even handles that statistically dense Mission_Impossible
midi that comes with kde. My /dev directory shows this logged in as a user:

crw_______   1  mr6re9    root    14,    1 Aug 30  16:30    sequencer
crw_______   1  root          root    14,    8 Aug 30  16:30    sequencer2
Should it be crw_rw____? The error did say the device was busy, not that I
didn't have permission to use it.

Konqueror will also not recognize Netscapes "plugger.so" in
/usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins. I tried to manually ad this search path in
Konquerors settings as a user and it disappears. There is a path listed
/usr/local/netscape/plugins, but that path is a kde default and does not
exist.

1) Should I try to configure konqueror globally as root to search
	/usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins?
2) Move a copy or link plugger.so to /usr/local/netscape/plugins after making
	the /netscape/plugins directories?
3) Place and/or link "plugger.so" in any of the other 8 paths?

It is really not big trouble Jonathan. I just enjoy using kde, and would like
it to perform well using native apps. Netscape handles embedded midi just
fine, however there are no controls on the page. Konqueror on the other hand,
displays the controls (kmidi) but plays no sound.

Thanks,
farmer6re9