List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Upgrade question
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-01-29 11:12:17

John Andersen wrote:

> On Sunday 27 January 2002 02:04 pm, Ali.Naddaf@trilogy.com wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I am currently running SuSe 7.2 with KDE 2.1.1. I want to upgrade my KDE
> > to KDE2.2.2, and I looked up the SuSe web page on download/upgrade. For my
> > version of distribution, they have a bunch of RPMs for base packages, etc.
> > but there is no instruction as how to upgrade; I am just concerned that I
> > need to upgrade those libraries in a certain order otherwise dependencies
> > may cause  problems.
> >
> > Where can I find the instruction, or does anyone have any idea as to what
> > is the easiest/safest way to do so? I don't want to end up with a corrupt
> > system.
>
> Well, RPM will figure out most of this for you.
> You  do them roughly in the order they are listed here
> http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/linuks/i386/update_for_7_2/index.html
> doing each subset on that page in turn.

Didn't I post a clear explanation titled: Chinese Puzzle that explained
exactly why there was no order to UPGRADE the packages in

> You need all the base packages
> You only need one language package, and
> you should not need any development packages or  expirimental packages.

Actually, you need the new versions of the packages which you currently
have installed except that there is no more: "kdesupport".  That is, for
the upgrade, you do not need any packages in version 2.2.2 that you do
not have currently installed in version 2.1.1.  AND, you must have a
version 2.2.2 package for each 2.1.1 package that you currently have
installed.

> Download them all into an empty directory and then
> just do:  rpm --upgrade *.rpm

As I have explained several times, you don't need to do that either.

Put them where they belong: "...../RPMS/i386/" and use the command:

	rpm -Uvh arts*2.2.2*.rpm  kde*2.2.2*.rpm

At least that is what you need for Red Hat.  If there is something else
that doesn't start with: "kde" besides: "arts" add that to the gob.

> and let rpm sort it out.  It might complain about a thing or three, and
> those you sort out manually.

It is quite possible that you will need to Upgrade some non-kde
packages.  Do that first, then go back to the above command.

JRT