List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kmail and Rogers network
From:       John Andersen <jsa () pen ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2002-01-26 22:05:54

On Friday 25 January 2002 08:27 am, Joe Simon wrote:
> Sorry, let me clarify.
>
> My setup in Kmail (Network) is this:
> SMTP Server name: smtp    (this is what rogers named it)
> SMTP Server port: 25
> POP3 Server name: pop     (this is what rogers named it)
> POP3 Server port: 110
> POP3 User Id:     XXXX@rogers.com

Whats fishy here is "smtp" is not a fully qualified name.
It should be smtp.rogers.com or something like that.
Can you "ping smtp" and get it to work?
(There are ways this can be accomplished but its
extreemly unusual to see it set up that way).

> With this I can only receivce mail, not send mail.

And again I have to ask, WHY USE THEIR SMTP SERVER?
This is Linux, right?  just use sendmail and let your
machine deliver it directly.
(Sendmail, qmail, postfix, or some MTA comes with
every distro of linux and most distros start them
automatically).    Just click the sendmail radiobutton
and see if it works.