List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: QT Designer _NOT_ under QPL.
From:       Richard Stallman <rms () santafe ! edu>
Date:       2000-08-19 23:52:20

    i.e. the web page doesn't mention the legality of an implicit
    permission.

That is true, the page doesn't talk about the issue.  Its purpose is
to give advice to people who write GPL-covered programs to link with
Qt, and I don't think we should advise them to ask the users to rely
on possible implicit permission.

      On the contrary, it says `you cannot take a
    GPL-covered program and Qt and link them together, no matter
    how'.

That is true.  To TAKE a GPL-covered program and Qt and link them
together is always a violation.  You can't give permission for this;
only the copyright holder can.

If you WRITE the GPL-covered program, that is a different case.  In
that case, you can give explicit special position to link it with Qt,
and arguably in some cases you may give implicit permission.