List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: QT Designer _NOT_ under QPL.
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-08-19 17:33:17

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 10:40:37AM -0500, mosfet wrote:
> Read the QPL. While the designer is under the GPL and you can do
> anything you want with it Qt is under the *QPL*. The QPL states that you
> must distribute the entire package. This includes tools provided with QT
> and not necessarily under the QPL.
>
> You can't split the package, unless via patch form. You can separate the
> designer and distribute it separately, but if your going to distribute
> Qt you must include the designer and anything that comes along with the
> package.

Well there goes that idea.  Too bad too, it might have been a simple
solution.  Of course nothing related to KDE ever has a simple solution, it
seems to be sacrilige to have clear and simple licenses in this project.

If Debian cannot satisfy all terms required to distribute Qt with explicit
licensing, it cannot distribute Qt.  It's unfortunate but what else are we
to do?  We're running out of acceptable options.  Implicit grant of
license is not and never has been an option in Debian's history and it
should not be now for the same reasons it never was before.

do {
    :
} until (HELL_FREEZES_OVER);