List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: RMS,Debian and KDE
From:       Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP () dfo-mpo ! gc ! ca>
Date:       2000-06-21 14:45:42

Steve Hutton wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > But there is no rule against packaging LGPL'd KDE code.  As they
> > say: `Show me the code' (Or `don't complain unless you are
> > willing to do it yourself'). So apply to become a maintainer and
> > package them yourself.  You use KDE, you know it well.  Then by
> > all means join Debian and package bits you can.  That would
> > really show Debian right?  Subvert from within!
>
> Personally, seeing Debian ship KDE is not one of my goals.

So why are you complaining?

>                                                             Since
> what you describe is indeed possible for any Debian developer, I
> conclude that shipping KDE is not Debian's goal either.

There is no `Debian' entity to _not_ have as a goal to ship KDE
because there is no Debian entity that makes decision on what to
package.  Debian is a bunch of developers that package whatever
they want to (and can legally do so).  However, you continue to
think of a great conspiracy theory where there is none.

If some KDE developer wants kdelibs packaged, then they are free
to join Debian and do it themsleves.  Any other ranting about
kdelibs not being in Debian is just ranting.

> I think Debian's goal is to get all KDE developers to change the license on
> their code.

That would be nice.  But I don't know if I can describe it as a
Debian goal.

>              Since I don't think this is a particularly realistic goal to
> begin with,

That doesn't make Debian wrong in believing the GPL to be
incompatible with the QPL.

>             and I don't think public attacks help any,

Hide behind that if you wish to.  I sure I can find an equal
number of public rants against Debian from KDE supporters.

On Monday:
http://knews.derkarl.org/ - Debian's bark has NO bite.

What does that prove?
>                                                        I would be shocked