List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: RMS,Debian and KDE
From:       "Darren O. Benham" <gecko () benham ! net>
Date:       2000-06-21 14:38:34

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:05:56AM -0400, Steve Hutton wrote:
> Personally, seeing Debian ship KDE is not one of my goals.  Since
> what you describe is indeed possible for any Debian developer, I
> conclude that shipping KDE is not Debian's goal either.
>
> I think Debian's goal is to get all KDE developers to change the license on
> their code.  Since I don't think this is a particularly realistic goal to
> begin with, and I don't think public attacks help any, I would be shocked
> if this goal was achieved.

I have to break in, again.

The Debian Project has few goals as a Project.  Most of the goals in Debian
are the goals of the individual developers.  A volunteer will do something
because they want to see it done.  The Debian Project does not have a goal
to convert everybody to GPL or something.  There are individual developers
who'd like to see all Free Software licensed under GPL but their opinion
does not necessarily reflect the opinion of all developers or the Project as
a whole.