List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: RMS,Debian and KDE
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-06-21 14:05:56

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Perhaps some developers don't see a point of having packages in
> Debian that do nothing on their own.  It's the beginning of a
> packaging nightmare.  Every package in Debian has to be
> consistent and can't depend on external packages.  Where would
> compatible Debian packages come from?  Who decides what version
> to track?

All kdelibs are LGPL'd.

> Perhaps some other developers don't want to touch KDE packaging
> until the crux of the licensing issue is resolved.  Maybe they
> don't want to give the impression that everything is okay.  I
> don't know.
>
> It's likely that most Debian developers don't use KDE because
> of the licensing issue, and since they don't use it that removes
> most of the incentive to packaging it.

There is no licensing issue with kdelibs, since they are LGPL'd.
Debian users could happily use those libs to create applications
which they could license in a way that would satisfy Debian.

> But there is no rule against packaging LGPL'd KDE code.  As they
> say: `Show me the code' (Or `don't complain unless you are
> willing to do it yourself'). So apply to become a maintainer and
> package them yourself.  You use KDE, you know it well.  Then by
> all means join Debian and package bits you can.  That would
> really show Debian right?  Subvert from within!

Personally, seeing Debian ship KDE is not one of my goals.  Since
what you describe is indeed possible for any Debian developer, I
conclude that shipping KDE is not Debian's goal either.

I think Debian's goal is to get all KDE developers to change the license on
their code.  Since I don't think this is a particularly realistic goal to
begin with, and I don't think public attacks help any, I would be shocked
if this goal was achieved.

Steve