List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-06-12 6:49:47

I don't feel it's my place to suggest to TT that they release QT under the
GPL, I hope you can respect this decision of mine. However would you consider
the following proposal to be 'reasonable'.

1) TT releases the implementation of inline methods/functions in QT free
edition into the public domain, and that TT releases the signatures of all
methods/functions in QT free edition headers files into the public domain.

2) Debian as a whole accepts KDE has interpreted the GPL in a way that is
valid and self consistent, yet inconsistent with the way Debian interprets
the GPL. The KDE interpretation will be deprecated and the KDE project will
not be free to use (that is merge with its own source code) GPLed software
from other projects without first seeking (and receiving) permission from the
authors of that other software.

Notes:
I suggest (1) because I think this meets all the requirements listed in the
email of yours that I referenced earlier.

I believe (1) is required in order for users of QT free edition to be allowed
to distribute their (QT reliant) software in binary form. This is not
specifically a GPL/QPL issue but rather a QT free edition sanity check. This
would not require any modification to the QPL, rather an additional
clarifying statement from TT would be warranted, perhaps this could be made
in the QT free edition header files.

(2) contains a written form of what appears to be KDE's unwritten policy.

I understand that even if Debian accepts the above proposal as reasonable
certain dependencies/parts of KDE may not be included in Debian for
exceptional reasons (eg mimelib in kdesupport but I don't want to get bogged
down in details).

I believe TT is very happy with the QPL and that they have no intention to
GPL QT so please let's not get stuck on that issue. I also believe expecting
KDE to amend the licensing agreements on its GPLed software to be unrealistic.

I realize this proposal is not everything Debian wants, but I am serious
about resolving the issue via this proposal.

BFN,
Don.