List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-06-12 4:50:14

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 10:13:08PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > My lawyer read the licenses involved and some of the better arguments
> > and told me frankly.  "I can win if a GPL violation case goes to court but
> > not an unproved license change case."  Maybe other lawyers have different
> > opinions.
>
> If KDE wins a court case against a GPL copyight holder we may have won that
> battle but we surely lost the war.

Most people here either don't see it that way, or simply haven't thought
that far ahead.

The general "nobody will sue us so it's okay" attitude so many people are
taking regarding free software is far more dangerous than anything
microsoft, Sun, or AOL could do to us.

<Knghtbrd> I can think of lots of people who need USER=ID10T someplace!
<Knghtbrd> It'd be a great service to mankind don't you think?