List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [rms@gnu.org: Re: can normal programs be LGPL'ed?]
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-12-07 12:43:58

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
> > Of course you are forgetting that at the time there were dozens of GPL
> > apps based on toolkits less free than the GPL and noone whined about it
> > as you are whining about it now.
>
> 	It is true that KDE was in the right (wrong?) place and time to
> bring the problem to the attention of the public at large.  It is not
> true that just because other, smaller projects were making a mistake that
> KDE had to make the same mistake as well.  "Everyone else is doing it"
> has never been a good justification for anything.

Well, oral sex is technically a crime in about half of the U.S, and it
doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Since we are not lawyers, the "reasonable interpretation" which is what
you can expect is based on:

a) a perhaps faulty understanding of the license
b) complains from others
c) things that happened in the past

For more than a year these were:

a) I think it's ok
b) none so far
c) everyone else is doing it

What's the deal? Should I hire a lawyer and ask him every morning before
I code something? Grim future!

> 	But I'm not really "whining" about you guys having made the
> mistake in the first place.  What I am whining about is your continuing
> refusal to own up the the fact that a mistake was made.

At least you know you're whining.

> > Shutup and code still sounds very good.
>
> 	It sounds worse than ever |-<.  But you go right ahead and do
> whatever you want to.

Fuck yes. And you can go on whining at will too.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.