List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE & QT
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-12-07 12:33:02

That's not a solution because it just forks the code in two versions that
are guaranteed to diverge.

And of course RMS knows that already :-P

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >
> >>     1 : My software is free ( Gratis and Libra ) for users and developers
> >>     of free code.
> >>
> >>     2 : It costs money to use it in proprietary work ( Not banned as GPL or
> >>     gratis as LGPL ).
> >>
> >>     3 : It is still Libra for "paying customers"
> >>
> >>     4 : It is compatible with the GPL if at all possible.
> >
> > You can do this by
> > (1) releasing the program under the GPL, and
> > (2) selling some other kind of license to people who pay.
> >
> > People who want to use the code in something proprietary
> > will not be able to do so under the GPL, so their only way
> > of doing so would be to buy the alternate license.
> >
> > Regardless of what the alternate license says (which could be whatever
> > you like), the effect of this *for the free software community* is
> > that the program is released under the GPL.
> >
> >>     Note that these are also the goals of Troll Tech and your reply will
> >>     forwarded to kde-licensing@kde.org where Troll, KDE and others are
> >>     trying to achieve these goals.
> >
> > Feel free to forward this reply.
>
> I have a cool statement ... but I will let you all digest RMS' comments
> 1st.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.