List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Eye of the Tiger
From:       Warwick Allison <warwick () troll ! no>
Date:       1998-11-18 16:46:03

Alan Cox wrote:
> 1.  Does the "patch" include other files it is linked with. Eg does
>     a ttf patch implicitly include libttf. Where is the boundary,
>     object file, symbol name, source file, library

No.  The QPL does not suck in all the files you link to.  We left out
a definition of "patch", therefore the common knowledge of the term
applies, not one we make up ourselves.  I'm not a lawyer, but I guess
anything not made by [cvs] diff is hard to pass as a patch.

> 2.  The patc becomes usable by anyone for any purpose, so your neat
>     true type hack (minus Qt) appears in the next windows nt
>     is this good ?

It's a good reason not to include megabytes of code in a patch.

>really means "Troll want to use your patches and sell them in the
>commercial edition, thats the trade off for you being allowed to
>modify it. Oh and we will keep your name on the credits"

Every patch that Troll Tech "sells in the commercial edition" would
also be in the Free Edition (because we don't have the resources to
deal with too many branches and users would still be free to apply the
patch to the Free Edition anyway).

As to our credits list... http://www.troll.no/qt/credits.html

--
Warwick