List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Eye of the Tiger
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-11-18 16:44:15

Alan Cox (alan@cymru.net) spake thusly:
> > > Its a very good early draft. It certainly appears to be philosophically
> > > GPL equivalent. It doesn't solve the "commercial apps pay to use qt" issue,
> > > nor for that matter would I expect Troll Tech to "resolve" that one 8). I
> > > guess commercial people can pay troll or fund Harmony 8)
> >
> >   Well, that rather assumes that Harmony continues to exist. I for one
> > can't see much reason to continue developing Harmony now that Qt is
> > open source. The only thing Harmony does that Qt 2.0 doesn't is
> > anti-aliased Truetype support, and I can write a patch to put that in Qt
> > now :)
>
> Providing your patch doesnt include libttf, which is something very unclear
> in the license draft and with very import bearings
>
>    b. The patch must be explicitly licensed by the following clauses
>      without additional restriction:
>
> this has two problems
>
> 1.	Does the "patch" include other files it is linked with. Eg does
> 	a ttf patch implicitly include libttf. Where is the boundary,
> 	object file, symbol name, source file, library

  I don't see how a patch can be held to include the library it's intended
to link against. I don't even see that it could include the header
file it happens to #include to define functions that happen to be present
in libttf.

> 2.	The patc becomes usable by anyone for any purpose, so your neat
> 	true type hack (minus Qt) appears in the next windows nt
> 	is this good ?

  Well, NT already does Truetype, of course, but I take your point :)

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de