List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: A Detailed Analysis of the GPL For KDE/QT
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1998-10-19 9:35:59

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
>Richard Stallman writes:
>> If they are talking about modifying the Program to combine it with Qt,
>> that is making a larger work that contains the Program and Qt.
>
>We are talking about source here.  They are not modifying the Program to
>combine it with Qt.  They are modifying it to include strings that refer to
>Qt.  The source does not include anything licensed under the Qt license (or
>so I assume: I've not examined it myself).

You are totally right. Neither KDE nor Troll Tech incorporated GPLed code
copyright by the FSF into Qt. This most certainly would violate the GPL.
Further more, KDE did not incorporated any Qt source code distributed under
the terms of the Qt Free Edition license into some FSF programs, since this
would violate both the Qt Free Edition license and the GPL.

Matthias