List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Licensing
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-10-13 12:49:34

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Michael McCarthy <goldedge@ibm.net> wrote:
> > Debians position is in direct contridiction to their own stated
> > policies qouted from their own website above.
>
> Er... Debian tries very hard to do things the way the developers
> want them done, within reason.  Distributing code in violation
> of its license isn't within reason.
>
> The worst aspect of this is where KDE has taken other people's
> GPLed code, relabeled it, modified it so that it requires Qt,
> and then offered it up for distribution.

Which is something I stil lhave not seen copyright holders complain about.
We have a saying "more papist than the pope".

> > Comment: This whole discussion to me reflects a lack of community
> > spirit in the Linux community at least on this issue.
>
> Yep.  Or rather, this issue reflects a lack of community spirit.
> The discussion is an important element of fixing that problem.
>
> --
> Raul

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).