List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE hurts Qt (was Re: LICENSES)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-10-13 12:38:52

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If a distribution ships Qt as part of Linux, he can ship KDE as well without having
> > to fear ANYTHING. The user too, has no problem at all. You can select from a lot
> > of different distributions, that comply to these terms:
>
> Not what the legal people I talked to said. They said it was clear
> the interpretation had to be the original vendor - that is Linus Torvalds
> and RMS statements have backed that.
>
> > Only if a distribution does not ship Qt, he is not allowed to ship KDE. This affects
> > two distributions: Debian and the stock,unmodified RedHat.
>
> In which case please immediately cease and desist all shipping of KDE
> for Solaris until you can get sun to ship Qt

Sorry Alan, but since when are you a court to issue cease and desist
orders, and/or a copyright holder of code used on KDE so you can ask a
court to do so?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).