List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alex <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-04-17 0:19:03

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     What's the problem with Qt... ???
>     You've got a great GUI, free for non-commercial use,
>
> The problem is that "free for non-commercial use" is not enough--it is
> not free software.  Free software should not be limited to hobbyists
> and students alone.  It should be for everyone, for all legitimate
> activities including business.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to make money off of software that
uses Qt, you're quite obligated to compensate the Trolls.  Look at Motif,
it's comercial too, however, it's essentially a percent of profits type
thing.  The Trolls's license IMO is only fair.  After all, they've put
quite a bit of effort into Qt (and it shows).  If you're happy with free
sofware, then fine.

$1200 per developer.
If you can't sell > 100 copies of your software at $12 each, um, perhaps
your software isn't worth selling.  Not to mention selling support makes
profits too.  It's not that big of a deal.  Honestly a good package should
have no trouble selling ~1000 copies (or is the Linux community not that
big?).

- alex

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern
technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."