List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-04-15 19:58:55

> and change them, but I cannot redistribute them.  In spite of this there
> is plenty of Motif GPL software out there.  I think of Qt as being the
> same class of software as Motif and therefore a perfect replacement for
> what Motif does on other UNIX desktops.   Is RMS willing to say that no
> GPL code can be linked with Motif?  Now that TOG has changed the X11

If Motif doesnt come with the OS he would yes.

> licensing, is he willing to say that no GPL code can be linked to X11R6.5
> (or whatever the next version is?)

Yep.

Im content to just say hey this legally doesnt actually work. I think there
is an amount of 'common sense' over GPL fundamentalism where most developers
are concerned. Eg I dont care if someone KDE's GPL code I wrote. I'd rather
they finished Harmony first but ... 8)

Alan