List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-15 15:13:34

Richard Stallman wrote:

> This restriction means that "FreeQT" is not free software, because the
> freedom to distribute a modified version is a crucial aspect of what
> free software means.  As a result, linking "FreeQt" with GPL-covered
> programs violates the GNU GPL.

QT has never been "free software",  it's commercial software
with a license to let free software developers use it at no charge.
I personally find this arrangement very appealing and would want to
see more people use it.  After all the net result is that ONLY the
makers of none free ( no sources provided ) software must pay Troll
Tech.  Frankly I can't see how you would make money with a less
restrictive license on a set of libraries.

> However, as long as KDE requires Qt and Qt is not free, it is
> impossible to use KDE in free operating systems.  We could include KDE
> sources, but that would be pointless since in the absence of Qt they
> could not run.

This explains Debian ( "Free software for the sake of free software" )
But what of the others ?  They already include significant "semifree
software".  Off the top of my head;

DOOM shareware ( In the 1st SlackWare I ever FTPd )
MetroX ( still in RedHat )
Netscape ( several distributions were ordered to remove this baby )
not to mention a slew of other need stuff.

However KDE was treated differently for the simple reason that it
is extremely large, powerful and important.  As the desktop
environment it would be dangerous to have it depend on QT since
Troll could change the license and thus put KDE and hence Linux
in an awkward position.

Now that the freeQT foundation will alter that problem.  It hasn't
changed the position of anybody.  Why ?  Only Debian has a valid
excuse ( they never touch anything none free ).  But what of the
rest ?  I know RMS cannot speak for RedHat and SlackWare so I will
not ask you to.

> for this reason, KDE has little chance of becoming the standard
> desktop for GNU/Linux systems (*).  "FreeQT" does not meet the GNU
> project's definition of free software, or the Debian definition, and
> Red Hat is funding the development of GNOME.

Not to worry ... there is no desire from the Linux community for a
standard desktop.  Just a preference to have at least one good
desktop.  KDE is that and GNOME will be it soon enough.  I just
hope that business pressure doesn't force RedHat to consider shipping
GNOME before it is ready to protect it's market share from competitors
using KDE ( nobody else is financially vulnerable )

> This consequence results solely from KDE's unfortunate decision to use
> Qt.  KDE may have some technical drawbacks, but so does every other
> program we use; we would probably have accepted them.  If KDE had been
> developed using a free library--even an "inferior" one--then it would
> be capable of use in a free operating system, and it would already be
> the standard desktop.

No it would not.  What it would be is an incomplete and severally broken
desktop.  They chose QT simply because it was the only thing of it's
caliber that would not mean either them or the KDE users forking over
money to the producers.

However I think I have finally grasped the philosophy behind the KDE
rejection and see that there is no hope for it to ever be rectified
( except for the Harmony project, which nobody on either side seams
to care about ) or Troll Tech going belly up, thus making QT BSD
( which I wouldn't want to see ).

What do I see for the future ?  KDE will be incorporated by some
distributors and rejected by others, then when GNOME hits the
market it will be incorporated by all.  However they will both
be options in some distributions and of course both will be on the
net.

This will mean something that it is very difficult to achieve in the
free software world.  Competition.  As it is right now where KDE
is driving GNOME to work at breakneck speeds, well beyond what
would have been attempted in the absence of KDE, and the KDE
people incorporating new features all the time to stay ahead of
GNOME.  The end result ?  3 Years from now we will have not 1 but
2 desktops that are vastly superior to anything that has ever been
available anywhere.
--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is like
a piece of chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.