List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-04-15 12:55:58

> thanks to Qt. While you are talking about some kind of poison which
> contaminates a free operation system we are talking about a

>    - technical brilliant application development framework
I think people badly overestimate the cleverness of Qt. Qt is a set of
fairly low level widgets and a few very neat tricks like signal/slot and
the API target portability between X11, Windows etc.

What makes KDE great is the _KDE_ libraries. Don't do yourselves down
on that.

>    - which comes with full source code
Which you can't change or patc

>    - which is free of charge for people writing free applications
Providing they dont change it and dont use the GPL

>    - which is developed in an open model: weekly snapshots
Which you cant change or patch

> Stallman", too. In this mail the author claimed that writing non-GPLed
> software is "unethical" and that it was good if people who do so run

RMS indeed believes this. There are various positions people hold on free
software from 'I occasionally give items way to improve my commercial
product' to 'All software should be free, non free [speech not beer free]
software is evil'.

If you talk to him he'll make quite a reasonable and logical case for his
claims. [And no I dont personally quite agree with him].

Alan