List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [kde] the kde-qt issue
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-11 4:18:18

fractture wrote:

> I don't think the issue of wether Qt releases its libs under this licence, or
> that...
> I just think there needs to be other alternatives for writing KDE applications.
> For instance, in Gnome they have GTK wich has limited abilities in C++/Obj-C as
> well as the full capabilities of C.  I think they also have a few other
> alternatives which I know nothing about.
> KDE has the advantage of being way ahead of Gnome, but this will not be forever.
> Gnome will be cheaper to build commercial, or sharware applications, I
> assume GTK is under LGPL.... wereas anyone wanting to build one for KDE will
> need to pay 1200 for the comercial Qt licence, which is not bad if you plan on
> doing a lot of it or want to wirte one app for both platforms.
> Also, Gnome will have the added bonus of being able to choose the form of C you
> best like.
>
> I think there needs to be a lot more options than just one, maybe people who can
> should make some.  I unfortunately have a minimal understanding of C only so
> wouldn't be much help.  But if KDE wants to be considered a 'standard' desktop
> (though many will stick with old WMs and Gnome) then it needs to be more open.
> The Qt licence and the fact that it is the only option in my opinion hobbles KDE
> quite efficiently.

Let's get this straight again.  You will be able to build apps with
GTK that work like KDE apps.  Already the KDE standards are pretty much
published ( right down to source code :) so it's not too difficult for
anybody to make something else work with it.  However the chances of
that happening are rather slim since it will only benefit Commercial
developers and most of them will be far more expensive and restrictive
than Troll Tech.
FreeQT is under development, and GTK will do the KDE dance, so what
are you complaining about still ?
--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is like
a piece of chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.