List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alex <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-04-05 18:21:56

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Martin Konold wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> > For a small vendor it means I can pay perhaps $2000 for the priviledge
> > of using KDE or $0 for the priviledge of using Gtk/Lesstif/etc. And its
> > also $0 for MS Windows development.
>
> Sorry, but this is simply wrong. For MS Windows the small vendor has to
> buy EXTRA compiler and libraries etc. in order to compile ANYthing. This
> extra stuff is NOT provided on a simple Win95 CD.

No.  Not exactly true.  There's the Win32 port of GNU's cc, binutils and
other gunk dubbed gnu-win32.  It's a Cygnus project (with a different
license for comercial resale).  While it's quite handy, I don't think it's
ready for prime time yet.

- alex

"We are upping our standards ... so up yours."
  - Pat Paulsen for US of A Prez, 1988.