List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-04-05 14:52:02

> > if you doubt me. The Qt library is not as free or freer than the GPL nor
> > is it shipped with the base OS product from Mr Linus Torvalds as you may
> > verify by inspection of his tar files.
>
> Mr Torvalds doesn't distribute OSs, he distributes kernels. I thought the
> FSF said that themselves.

He distributes the base product. Take that to a lawyer too if you don't
believe me.

> Qt is part of "one of the main components" referred to in the GPL,

Not unless Linus ships it. I've actually bothered to pursue these questions
to their full extent.

> If you refuse to let KDE link to Qt on the license incompatibility basis,
> you are forbidding ports of emacs to windows, since KDE'fying a program

No the windows library api's and libraries are provided with the base
product from Microsoft Inc, Redmond (check a win95 CD)

> I have a dozen more ;-)

If you want a screwy one see Motif and GPL and which platforms do you have.
Thankfully Lesstif has cleaned that rather bizarre question up.

> So, Alan, I respect you a lot, but it's not so "it can't be done, full stop".
> I have asked a few lawyer friends, and most think the language of the GPL
> is way too vague, and it would be just a decision for the judge.

The GPL is quite precise in most areas.

Anyway regardless of that the point Im trying to make that a freeqt is good
for KDE stands.