List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Change ?
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-03-10 20:44:35

Alan Cox wrote:

> > KDE Will "win" because it's programers do not cripple themselves.
>
> Its a pity gnome and kde has become 'win' and 'lose'.
>
> > Someone
> > wrote an app that seeks out Popular programs and adds them to the start
> > menu.  Netscape and the Gimp are among those sought out.  Dose anyone
> > expect that attitude from the Gnome people ?
>
> Actually yes, and also mc knows how to use KDE application info files so
> it can share them. Just cos the Gnome folks are the "other side" doesnt
> mean either side should be bad guys.

This is what I want to see.
1 : Similar look and feel between them ( but not the same )
2 : Sensible allocation of resources.  i.e. Gnome has Gimp so KDE should
not
attempt a Graphics editing program ( this year ).  While There is a list
of specialized Programs that need to be added to both desktops.  I would
like them to as much as possible do different things ( 1 dose Fax prog
while the other dose dedicated FTP ).  This way we all WIN :)
( note "win" was in quotes because it is just a ridicules concept to
win by distributing more copies of a free program than another person
doing free software.
3 : Easy interoprability.  cut and paste between apps in both camps
forinstance and common formats as much as possible ( Both are doing
Word Processors ... or so I have herd ).
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."