List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Change ?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-03-10 17:48:36

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > on and off about getting Qt GPL'd or something and unsurprisingly
> > A GPL'd Qt would alienate all commercial developers. We do want commercial
> > apps for the upcoming desktop too!
>
> so LGPL then
>
> > But these end users do ask: Why do I need two libs on my hdd even if they
> > provide the same functionality. End users do NOT care about the licensing
> > fee which has to be paid by commercial developers.
>
> But they dont have the freedom to change the internals of the Qt library
> and share the changes with friends. Also seriously for vendors if Qt has
> another security bug and Troll are busy and say "Sure we will fix that
> next release" they cant stick to the superb fix rate for security linux
> has right now.

Wasn't that security bug in KFM, not Qt?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).