List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Change ?
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-03-10 17:45:39

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Olivier Galibert wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 12:54:17PM +0100, Gaël Duval wrote:
> > > First they tell they will never make a complete clone of Qt.I was
> > > told there are
> > > 30 000 lines of code in Qt. It's big.
> >
> > But then, there are already more than 10K lines written.
>
> But then Qt is about 80.000 lines.
> Of course it still makes more sense than cloning the 400.000 lines in KDE.

Gnome just didn't like to hang with the KDE crowd.  To do so would make
them feel bad.

> > > Secondly, I think you are right, but *why* did the Gnome
> > > team decided to clone KDE instead of cloning Qt ?
> >
> > Because kde was smaller at the time.
>
> Because they counted the lines wrong. At the time of GNOME's
> announcement, the KDE sources were over 200.000 lines of code.
> And of course KDE was expected to grow much faster than Qt, so even if it
> was smaller it was still wrong.

They just thought they could challenge KDE.  However The Gimp is
currently
70% of Gnome ( IMHO ).
KDE Will "win" because it's programers do not cripple themselves.
Someone
wrote an app that seeks out Popular programs and adds them to the start
menu.  Netscape and the Gimp are among those sought out.  Dose anyone
expect that attitude from the Gnome people ?
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."