List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Oxygen font licensing
From:       Richard Stallman <rms () gnu ! org>
Date:       2012-01-27 12:40:19

    > We don't recommend the use of the GPL for texts for humans to read.

    You mean, like nicely written sourcecode? If you did not mean
    that, you an be sure that you will be misunderstood.

You seem to be hostile, and trying harass me.  However, your point is
valid to the extent that people make PDF files from source code.
Thus, we can't avoid the issue of GPL-covered text in source code.

It's possible that CC-SA raises the same issue.  I am not an expert on
it, but perhaps someone should look at it too.

    I am sure that you already heared all the arguments for and
    against, so I will just leave it at that and tell you that this
    stance of yours creates more problems for free culture writers who
    are also programmers than any possible shortcomings in the GPL3.

I doubt it, but since it's a tangent, we don't need to argue with you
here.

    In the recent discussions about possble cc by-sa to GPL
    compatibility, this was cited as reason for not adding that more
    often than anything else.

Whoever had those discussions are welcome to talk with me about it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation