List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Adding AGPL and SIL to Licensing Policy
From:       Jonathan Riddell <jr () jriddell ! org>
Date:       2012-01-04 18:17:14

There's a need in KDE to find acceptable licences for fonts designed
for use with our software and for web applications.

As ever we want to use licences which follow free software and open
source principles, are generally accepted by the developers working in
that area, are generally accepted by downstream distributions and have
a good chance at letting us share code without having to worry much
about the licencing.

On the web applications we have Owncloud which us using AGPL.  Some
people aren't great fans of this but some people think it extends the
copyleft ideas to server usage.  We won't let it in KDE's client
software.

For fonts we have the forthcoming Oxygen font. The authors seem to
prefer SIL, most other open font projects seem to prefer SIL.  SIL has
a problem that you can't sell it unless you ship "echo hello world"
script with it but there is a general acceptance that it is otherwise
a good lience.  The problem doesn't prevent our downstreams using it
as far as I've found.

So here's my proposed changes

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Policies%2FLicensing_Policy%2FDraft&action=historysubmit&diff=68169&oldid=68166

Jonathan