List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Scripting the download and conversion of non-free data from an
From:       Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-12-08 7:42:33

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 08:46:49PM +0100, Ingo Kl?cker wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2011, Akarsh Simha wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like to verify that it is legal to download data that is
> > available on a website, but is not distributable, through KIO / a
> > script, and then do some processing to convert it and store it on
> > the client's machine.
> >
> > The specific issue is that I wish to distribute a list containing a
> > selection of astronomical objects with KStars. However, the authors
> > of the list, despite putting the list up publicly on the internet,
> > do not wish to permit the distribution of the list. I would like
> > KStars users to be able to generate / access the list anyway, so I
> > am considering writing a script that would download the list from
> > the internet, and convert the list into a KStars-readable format.
>
> IANAL. I don't see why it shouldn't be legal unless the terms of use of
> this list forbid downloads by a script. And even then this should be
> okay if the KStars user has to trigger the download explicitly.
>
> I guess it would help if you'd tell us what website we are talking
> about.

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

There was however some miscommunication between me and the authors of
the catalog, and I finally got explicit permission from the people
running the website to put it up on the GHNS server and use it for
KStars.

In any case, yes, I would not think there would be a problem with
downloading and parsing, since that's exactly what a browser is doing
in some sense, right?

Regards
Akarsh