List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Making progress
From:       Darius Stachow <dstachow () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-23 13:03:55

Hi,

I would like to tell you how far I am with the editor for kuml and where I am
going. I've just checked in a rudimentary implementation of the editor core.
There are readme files in the directoy kuml_gui/src/ige and
kuml_gui/src/editorapp that describes how to build the sources.
The editor now can paint graphical objects and allow to manipulate them. You
can do a selection, open contextual popup menus or move or resize rectangle
objects.

The core implementation still needs more work but provide a base for the rest
implementation. As I have created and prepared a lot of source code in
forward with Togehter that at best only have to be filled by some method body
implementation I will make "touchable" progress faster in the future.

The next after the common used stuff on my list is the implementation of the
editor's network (graph) and UML capabilites. Since this is done we get a
flexible and easily extensible editor framework with a clear design based on
the modern Qt library that don't need to hide on big frameworks like GEF
(ArgoUML, unreleased Poseidon (commercial branch of ArgoUML)) or the smaller
JHotDraw from Erich Gamma. I've read anywhere I can't remember the upcoming
Qt3 will support not only Posix and Windows but also Mac.

Actually I have summer semester vacations and I want to spent some time on
the editor. Not only because we need one for kuml but also because I want to
write a student research project paper about it.

I find it urgent that somebody starts to create an explorative prototype for
our kuml application.
Is there anybody on this list that would like to help in this gui prototype
and the kuml application ? I think working on the gui is the funniest job at
all as you have direct influence on the look and feel of the application :-)

Darius