List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Interactive graphical editor
From:       "Darius Stachow" <dstachow () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-03-28 17:34:11

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Frster" <foerster@itb.biologie.hu-berlin.de>
To: <kuml-devel@barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: Is anyone there?

>>Peter Rake and I have done some work on a new framework for the
>>interactive graphical editor but its still not ready.
>>Actually I don't know what the others are doing.

> Is this based on Unidraw as you said long ago. I've tried Unidraw, but
> couldn't even compile it (ivtools). Is there something special about, I've
> missed?
I remember I have compiled this package some time ago. But I believe it was
an earlier version.

My approach was inspired by a mix of experience I've made at the work with
the first version of kuml, the articles I've posted some time ago, the
ivtools package and a little bit on GEF (Framework used in Argo/UML) . At
the beginning of this year I've sent Peter Rake the work (Model and test
implementation) I've done on a new framework for the editor. In the meantime
I've done some work on a new version based on the previous one.

The editor uses a multi layer model what means the picture is build up from
seperate layers. There is a layer for the background, the grid, the data and
so on. My approach is based on the article from Daniel Fekete but differs on
some aspects. The editor tools aren't associated with the layer (layer
tools) but handled by the editor itself. This is the way the old kuml has
gone and it was a sufficient solution. I do not see a necessary for Feketes
proposal in our case.
I do call the graphical entities "Graphic" and for each editable and
selectable graphic object there is a corresponding graphic manipulator
object that controls the selection handles and does the resizing, moving or
other kinds of manipulation.

What I have so far is a draft and incomplete model for an interactive
graphical editor with network and UML support created with Together.
I will convert the diagrams into HTML files and upload them in a couple of
days.

Bye
Darius