List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    New toolbox behavior (redesign)
From:       Darius Stachow <dstachow () ngi ! de>
Date:       2000-07-10 20:14:06

Hi all,

I just merged some sourcecode into the cvs repository I've written in the
past. I'm in progress to completly replace the CreationHelper classes that
was responsible for creating an UML element (class, textnotes, ...)

I've rewritten the toolbox code and added the possibility to enhance the
capabilities of the editor by "editor tools".
The EditorTool classes (drawobj/tools) are similar to the CreationHelper
classes but receive more qt events (paint event) and are managed by a
controller class. One big advantage is the possibility to paint something on
the diagram while you use a tool. (With this support you could implement a
broom tool like in argoUML ;-) )
I've taken the code for the item selection out of the drawing controller
class[DrawingArea] and added a tool for that. The arrow icon for the
selection tool is new in the toolbox when you open a new diagram.

To create new editor tools just implement the EditorTool interface and add
the tool object to diagram type. The tool will appear in the toolbox. Click
on it and move the mouse over the diagram area to do something.

I am on the way to implement all CreationHelper classes as editor tools. They
will be creation tools for classes, textnotes and so on ...