List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Support for XML in KUML
From:       Geoff Glasson <glastech () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-05-10 12:02:17

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of adding support for a peristence layer for KUML.  I
know that there is already one there, but the work that I am doing is
primarily to add support for storing models in XML format and then
retrieving them.

You will find in the data directory a tree entitled persistence which is
where I am currently working.  Part of what I am trying to achieve is to
build a persistence framework that allows KUML to store/retrieve models
generated using other tools.  In the process of doing this work I have
checked some code into CVS, only to have a rethink and realise that
there is the possibility of a lot of duplicate code.  The first priority
is to implement XMI support, however there are a number of XML parsers
available and my initial design meant that much of the code would be
duplicated in each of the supporting libraries.  I have since done some
redesign and have reduced the duplication significantly.

Why am I telling you all this?  Well, it is my intention not to check
code in that does not compile, but I've already been caught once (thanks
again Albert).  If you find a fault in what I've done, please let me
know as soon as possible so that I can fix it, or perhaps you could fix
it an let me know.  Secondly, I would appreciate feedback from you as to
whether you think what I am trying to achieve is a worthwhile goal.

Please feel free to contact me with queries, hints, requests and even
criticism.

Thanks...Geoff

Geoff Glasson
glastech@iinet.net.au