List:       kde-krn-devel
Subject:    Krn now uses gdbm
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1997-08-22 18:41:46

Just to inform you guys:

My current version uses gdbm to store the articles xover info (not the
articles themselves) instead of ascii files.

It is one heck of a lot faster!
This is basically for the part where the status said

"Reading..."

Now it's almost impossible to see it with 2000 articles, while before it
could wait for 10/15 seconds.

Threading is still slow, but that's my next target :-)

PS: for those who feel a little nervous about storing that info in a
non-ascii file, it could be rebuilt from the cache, with a little time (a
few hours :-).

I'll see if I can make a release tonight or tomorrow, including this,
nicer menus, and several bugfixes, before I start looking at Magnus's new
formatter.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina