List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    About cursors
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       1999-12-02 13:28:11

Hi

I have a few thoughts about cursors in KIS.

Current approach, as used in GIMP and KIS is to set X cursor to
some bitmap. Of course it's fast and standard way. On the other
hand - it sucks (sorry). Cursors are thick, messy, unpleasant to
look at.

Wouldn't it be possible to draw cursor shapes directly to the
canvas (AFAIK X cursor can be only black and white ?) XORing it's
and background's colors? Cursors in Photoshop are drawn this way -
they are nice and functional.

Also I don't think, that we should have different cursors for
all different tools. Visual feedback is not a big deal - if you
switch various tools often, it's only harder to get used to all
these different cursors. Again, Photoshop is a good example.
There are two main groups of cursors - painting and pointing.
Cursors can have 2 modes - precise (drawn as a sight) and not
precise (drawn as pencil, brush, or smth.else). Painting cursors
can also be drawn as a circle indicating size of an active brush.

So in fact we only need 4 cursors to paint, select and and doing
other pixel manipulation, and also a couple of cursors to
move, rotate (...) selections.

Tomas