List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: different canvas definitions
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-08-09 17:54:06

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Dirk Schvnberger wrote:

> Perhaps a dumb question, but would it be useful/ is it thought of to use the
> currently announced Canvas in other applications?
>
> I think especially in the way the Gnome people want to work with their
> canvas, as generic high-level tool in which you can additionally to the
> currently used canvas
> - insert arbitrary elements by providing a specific Canvas item object
> - draw high-level vector drawing operation (libart with an imaging model
> similar to
>   Postscript, EPS, PDF)
>
> Especially I could see an use in the other KOffice applications, especially
> KIllustrator, but
> perhaps also kpresenter, kword, kspread.
>
> As far as I see, such a global used canvas would be a good choice for
> replacing the
> IMHO fairly limited drawing model of Qt to something more powerful (e.g. by
> interfacing the libArt library)

As I am told (by Havoc Pennington of Gnome), gnome's canvas isn't indeed a
gnome-specific thing. The author of that one, Raph Levine <raph@acm.org>
offered his help to insert his code in KDE too. Maybe you want to contact
him?

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna