List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Where's the text tool? was: Re: Krita 2.4 (b3): problems with
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2011-11-03 8:23:18

On Tuesday 01 November 2011 Nov, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been testing the Text-Shape tool lately.
> The one you get inside the Add Shape group. Not the "Artistic text tool" on the \
> tool bar.
> As usual I work on Krita 2.4 (b3).  Ubuntu1.10 - Unity Shell
>
> IMHO, it is really "problematic" to add a text-shape tool on the canvas right now.
> This to say the least...
>
> I suppose there are a few bug reports about this tool because most artists don't \
> use it. They usually sign their picture with their Wacom tablet ;-)
>
> In essence:
> 1. First up, this text-shape tool is a bit too much "buried" in my view.
> It may be difficult to even discover there is such tool for Krita :-(
> Maybe it should go on the tool bar (as occurs with other similar softwares): but I \
> suppose it is not easy to move only it...

The text tool in the toolbox has two modes: artistic and multiline text, so it offers \
everything that the text shape in the add shape dockers offers, except the default \
text. That's a bit of a pity, maybe Sven can add that? It would make it clear where \
the text is. I also think that after creating a text shape with the add-text tool the \
edit-text tool should be activated.

Hm... And I going crazy, or did the edit-text tool disappear from the toolbox with \
the latest toolbox refactoring. CC'ongcalligra-devel, so boemann can look at that. \
Right now, it seems we can edit the text shape only by clicking on it with the \
default tool, where it used to be possible to select the text tool.
> 2. When you select this text option, a new layer opens up (which is ok).
> Unfortunately, later, I always end up in having "many" difficulties to write \
> something on the canvas :-( Quite often, a different shape pops up and my text is \
> not inserted. This occurs quite randomly.
> There is not a pattern: sometimes I insert my text very quickly by doing the same \
> steps....
> 3. On top of this, this text-shape tool is *very* prone to crash Krita 2.4 (b3).
> This occured with the previous versions as well.
> I have already filled some crash reports on the Kde tracker :-)

Thanks! I will go through the reports this Saturday and check whether I can reproduce \
and fix the issues.

--
Boudewijn Rempt