List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: Whither Krita?
From:       Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-14 18:45:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Well, may i start?

I'm a photographer. So i need a tool that can replace a photoshop on linux
for preparing my photos for print. Why don't i use Gimp? There are several
reasons:

1) [main reason] I hate it's user interface. I hate these loads of windows.

2) Absence of an ability to work with several colorspaces (fast Lab<->Rgb
switch).
3) Absence of a color profiling feature.
4) Absence of a Color Proofing feature

Last time i started Gimp i was lacking last three features (it was quite
long ago). That's why i dropped it.

What do i need from Krita (or any other editor to be able to set up a usual
photo workflow):

1) Ability to work with Lab, RGB, CMYK. It would be curious to have a HSV
colorspace as it can be efficiently used in Curves tool.
2) "Curves" tool. This is my main working tool. [MAIN]
3) Ability to do a Color Profiling
4) Ability to do a Color Proofing [MAIN]
5) Ability to blend channels like PS's "Apply Image" [MAIN]
6) Ability to work with channels separately [MAIN]

What i like in Krita:
1) Variety of colorspaces
2) I like Qt more than Gtk

What i don't like in Krita:
1) Absence of MDI interface. It's quite difficult to work with several
pictures at once
2) FILTERS DIALOG(!) with thumbnails that was introduced in 2.0. I think, if
i press Filter->Curves menu, i mean that i want to see Curves configuration
window only, NOT these loads of thumbnails and other filter's stuff.

--
Dmitry Kazakov