List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Whither Krita?
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-09-14 17:33:07

This is a follow-up on an irc discussion we had last week on where we want to
go with Krita.

The situation is this: right now, MyPaint is a better ArtRage replacement than
Krita and Gimp is quite quickly becoming a better Photoshop replacement than
Krita.

MyPaint is fast, uses 16 bits/channel, supports ora, has a nice brush engine
(although it's not too hard to make a paintop for krita that uses MyPaint's
brush lib, it's definitely going to be _slow_). There are a couple of issues
with its user interface, especially for tablet users since it relies on
keyboard shortcuts a lot, but nothing really problematical. I actually use
MyPaint myself more often than Krita nowadays!

Gimp now has layer groups, is integrating gegl, going to get a single-window
interface in the next release and with all the work being done by Peter
Sikking, the user interface is getting really polished. There are even people
working much better brush dynamics for Gimp.

So -- what is the story about Krita? What can make Krita compelling to the
artist? I think it makes sense to individually identify why we are personally
working on Krita and what we want to get out of it in the first place, and to
use that to develop a vision for Krita that we can work towards.

It also makes sense to identify the really big problems in Krita, both in
relation to that vision (so that will have to wait) and problems we know about
right now, like:

I'll try to formulate my own thoughts tomorrow.