List:       kde-kant
Subject:    [Kde-kant] Re: About Kate
From:       Cullmann Christoph <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-04-07 19:51:48

Hi,

Am Samstag,  7. April 2001 20:44 schrieben Sie:
> Hi,
>
> I had a few questions :
>
> For your plugins, have you thought of using korelib from theKompany's
> site? It looks pretty cool. And if not, then are you trying to develop a
> code similar to korelib so that others can use it to write plugins?
> I want to add plugin support to my application and so far the only
> code I found which i can use is korelib. Is there anything built into KDE
> which i can use? The korelib doc says that everybody develops their own
> plugin architecture and hence to write plugin, you need to study the
> unique API.. and this is true. So they suggest that everyone use korelib
> so that writing plugins will for all applications using korelib will be
> simple! Please let me know what you think.
We don'T use korelib (cool, never heard something about it, will take a look
:)

> My second question was the availability of kate code. I wanted to try out
> kate and its soo soo difficult to get it. The download page simply says
> that download kdebase from CVS and then compile. This is not easy for
> someone like me who dosn't have time to learn how to download kdebase
> etc.. I just want a .tgz file of kate code which i can compile against my
> current KDE. Is it really difficult for you guys to provide snapshots of
> kate once in a while?
>
> This also leads to another problem. I have Mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.0.1
> suppose (I have kde 2.1.1 actually  ;) .. now I hear about kate and I am
> really excited and want to try it out.. what options do I have? Currently,
> the only option is to install KDE 2.2 when it comes out! This is IMHO a
> forced upgrade for KDE 2.0.x users to KDE 2.2.. which is not really
> correct. This is similar to M$'s forced upgrade except the $ part ;).. KDE
> really needs to make upgrading applications modular.. Its wrong to force
> such upgrades when all a user needs is a perticular feature! What do you
> think?
>
> Consider that a company has 100 machines doing development in KDE using
> kwrite.. now kate is out and they want to switch to kate.. is upgrading
> _all_ of 100 machines to KDE 2.2 the only solution? IMHO this is not good
> for KDE's future..
>
> Kate will get a much larger following and user-base + lots more bugfixes
> in even lower time if some time is taken by you guys to make it available
> for users not using KDE CVS regularly (which is 99.9% of the KDE user
> population btw!)
The problem is that Kate for example uses the KDE Printing system which is
only part of 2.2. If we want to provide Kate tarfiles we would need to
include these stuff too.

> thanks for your time.. please forward this to your fellow developers
> and/or the mailing list. (I didn't know where to write!)
>
> thanks
> sarang

cu and thx too
Christoph

P.S. mail is forwarded to the kde-kant mailinglist